Sunday 6 September 2015

Koenji Awaodori

One of the summer events I had most waited was the Koenji Awaodori. Since the day number one when I googled the Koenjis name after getting our apartments address from our landlord, the first thing all the sites were talking about was the awaodori. Later also my friends here in Japan were talking about how much bigger it was than any other awaodori. And it sure was huge.

The weather had been very bad for many weeks, but we had a lot of luck and during Saturday, there was no rain, but just to be sure, some of the dance groups had their drums and lanterns covered with plastic so that if the so easily changing weather, would turn to be bad, they would be prepared. We picked PAL street to be the place to watch the awaodori. 3 hours lasting parade of different groups made an infinity mark shaped route starting from JR Koenji station, then going all the way to Metro Shin-Koenji station and returning to JR station. I was so much fun, though I am happy that I had earplugs with me because the noise from the drums was so intence that even with plugs I felt like I didn't hear properly afterwards.

Seeing our little Koenji to be so full of people was also very nice ecperience. All the streets were full of people and stands that sold food. Every single restaurant in the area had taken benefits our from the festival. It was so much fun!








PAL Street, Saturday




































Rest of the Koenji









No comments:

Post a Comment